Test Development and Test Validation
Personnel selection test development and validation
Biddle Consulting Group, Inc. can assist your organization with the development of customized employment tests - written tests, physical ability tests, structured interview packages - designed specifically for your organization and job(s).
- Written Tests
- Structured Interview Packages
Validation is a process used to evaluate the job relatedness of a practice, procedure, test or combination of these used in a selection process. Validation studies usually incorporate content, criterion, or construct validation procedures. Biddle Consulting Group has experience with each.
Under the disparate impact provisions of the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures, validation is required when a practice, procedure, or test used for hiring, promotion, or other employment decision adversely impacts (works to the disadvantage of) a race, sex, or ethnic group protected by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (usually women, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and/or total minorities). Biddle Consulting Group, Inc. has been providing expert consulting services in the field of validation since 1974.
Biddle Consulting Group uses its copyrighted and trademarked Guidelines Oriented Job Analysis (GOJA) for the job analysis component of its validation studies. GOJA has been referenced in several textbooks, articles, and other sources, including:
- Job Analysis: An Effective Management Tool; Stephen E. Bemis, Ann Holt Belenky, and Dee Ann Soder; Bureau of National Affairs, Washington D.C.; 1983.
- Personnel and Human Resource Management; Randall S. Schuler, New York University; West Publishing Company; 1984.
- Human Resource Selection; Robert S. Gatewood, University of Georgia, and Hubert S. Field, Auburn University; Drydan Press; 1986.
- "Mass Validation: The Key to Effectively Analyzing an Employer's Job Classifications"; Richard D. Sturn; Public Personnel Management; September/October, 1979.
- Recruiting and Selection: Concepts and Techniques for Local Government; James A. Buford, Jr.; Alabama Cooperative Extension Service, Auburn University; 1985.
- Calderon v. Imperial County consent decree specifically exempts the County from initiating a stringent selective certification procedure for all classifications that have been validated under the Guidelines Oriented Job Analysis (GOJA) program.
- "Entry-Level Exam Examined in Court"; Tom Campbell; The Western Fire Journal; July, 1982.
- Personnel Management and Human Resources in Local Government; James A. Buford, Jr.; Center for Governmental Services, Auburn University; 1991.
Biddle Consulting Group's work products (job analysis, validation and statistical adverse impact analyses) have been supported in many court cases, including:
- Allred v. City of Oakland; statistical analysis and validation; Federal District Court
- Bouman v. Block; statistical analysis (sergeant); Federal District Court and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Cotton v. City of Alameda; statistics (Police Department); Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Forsberg v. Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone; job analysis; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fuchs v. United Airlines; statistics; Federal District Court
- Gilbert v. East Bay Municipal Utility District; validation; Federal District Court
- Hill v. Pacific Maritime Association; statistics; Federal District Court
- Kelley v. Metropolitan Transportation Authority; statistics; state Court
- Lassey v. Port of Oakland; statistical analysis; state court
- Mattson v. Multnomah County; statistical analysis; state court
- Mendoza v. Imperial County; statistics (Rule of 3); Federal District Court
- Murnane v. United Airlines; statistical analysis; jury in Federal District Court
- Norton v. C.P. National; statistical analysis; jury in Federal District Court
- Paige v. California Highway Patrol; statistical analysis (sworn jobs); Federal District Court
- Ramey v. Murphy; statistical analysis; state court
- Sergeant v. Georgia Pacific; statistical analysis; jury in Federal District Court
- Shelton v. SCPIE; statistical analysis; state court
- Wicker v. Xerox; statistical analysis; state court
- Wunderly v. S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.; statistical analysis; Federal District Court
Biddle Consulting Group has experience validating a variety of practices, procedures, and tests such as written tests, skills tests, aptitude tests, personality tests, physical ability tests, assessment centers, oral interviews, and many others.
Want to Learn About Biddle's Test Validation and Analysis Program (TVAP)?
For more information about our test validation consulting and software, please contact Biddle Consulting Group, Inc. at (800) 999-0438 or firstname.lastname@example.org